Why take advantage?
The present Gothic-style chapel must date from the late 12th or 13th century, for the western half, and from the early 16th century, for the eastern part. After 1696, the trêve no longer had a priest appointed by the bishopric of St Pol de Léon.
As the parish of Plabennec wished to monopolize the 1,200 pounds of trêve rent, the "trèviens" of Loc-Maria defended their cause at the 1735 trial, citing several titles dating the church back more than five centuries.
The list of priests from 1457 to 1696 is known. In those days, there was a tabernacle, morning mass, high mass and vespers every Sunday and feast day. On pardon day, there was a procession with crosses and banners.
A cemetery surrounded the chapel, which had an ossuary, confessionals, pulpit, sacristy, clock, deliberation room, archives filled with titles, and in a safe with 3 keys, over 6,000 pounds of effects and silverware.
Near this church, in the village of Loc-Maria, there was a curial house (presbytery) containing several apartments.
"This presbytery still exists, although the roof has been changed, the framework is original. The neighbouring bakehouse still has its thick slates and even its door, and the priests' stable is next door".
The lawsuit between Plabennec and its trêve lasted a very long time, and only a chaplain was in charge of chapel services until the revolution of 1789.
Having emigrated, Michel Jean Baptiste du Baudiez, lord of the manor of Rest, had his property put up for public sale as national property. Jérôme Berthomme was the buyer. He also bought the chapel and its outbuildings for 4000 F in 1799. In 1828, Mr. Hyacinthe le Bescond de Coat Pont, widower since 1819 of Armande Rosalie Berthomme, Jérôme's daughter, sold the ruins of the chapel to the fabrique (1) de Plabennec for 761.75 F. The treasurer was François Le Gall du Mendy.
The chapel had lost its tiles, and the roof structure was in poor condition. The tall trees (fir, elm and ash) had disappeared. In 1836, Miorcec de Kerdannet noted its Gothic arches and the nave's pillars, which had no vault to support. Garlands of ivy mingled with the columns.
However, the chapel wasn't raised from its ruins until 1841, as certified by the plaque on the gable, with M. Le Bars as parish priest, JL Chopin as mayor and FM Abiven as treasurer.